It looks like the warmer weather is finally here to stick around. After a rainy and chilly April the long term forecast for May is looking promising! The perfect patio weather is almost amongst us, warm sunny days with cool evenings that are perfect for a cozy night under the stars. Of course, it wouldn’t be complete without a glass of wine. So, we thought we would share our top wine picks for you to enjoy! The best part is all of the wines can be ordered online and delivered right to your home through the LCBO.
- 7 Deadly Sins Old Vine Zinfandel – This Zinfully delicious California Zinfandel features all you’re looking for in a classic variety. The aromas suggest hickory smoke, black cherry, vanilla and spice cupboard. A rich fruity wine that pairs perfectly with steaks or meat-based pasta dishes. Buy it here!
- Cupcake Red Velvet – This smooth California red delivers a sweet flavour and tastes exactly like you expect it to! A perfect balance between not overly sweet and not tart, this wine is a great option for an after-dinner dessert. A Zinfandel base, pairs very well with cheesecake. Buy it here!
- Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio – One of the top vintage’s seller year over year with the LCBO, bodied with subtle green apple, peach, and citrus notes. This Italian Pinot Grigio is quite dry but provides a light and crisp style that is perfect for pairing with a delicious plate of anti-pasti, grilled chicken or a nice seafood salad. Buy it here!
- Jackson Triggs Sauvignon Blanc – Of course, our list wouldn’t be complete without a Canadian favourite. The Jackson Triggs Sauvignon Blanc from the Niagara region is a light and crisp styled wine with notes of gooseberry and lemon. Priced on the lower end, this is a great wine for its value and is perfect for a Saturday afternoon outside under the sun. Buy it here!
- Santa Margherita Brut Valdobbiadene Prosecco Superiore – This ones a bit of a mouthful, so if you plan on going to the LCBO to purchase, we suggest you keep this blog saved or take a screenshot so you don’t forget it. Prosecco, a celebrity favourite holds a very distinctive, rich, fresh and vibrant profile. Notes of white melon with peach aromas, good acidity with creamy softness makes this wine the perfect pair for a charcuterie board, or seafood. Buy it here! If you’re looking to take your Saturday afternoon to another level, try this in an Aperol Spritz. A quick google search will give you a bunch of recipes!
- Whispering Angel – The perfect afternoon rose for the patio, this is a wine that will not disappoint. Refined and perfectly tuned, featuring notes of grapefruit, peach, and mineral tones in this tangy wine that don’t need to shout to get your attention. Pair with an afternoon snack, or a nice salmon dinner. Buy it here!
- Thirty Bench Winemaker’s Blend Riesling – Another local favourite from Beamsville, Ontario, which is considered to be one of Niagara’s best spots for growing Riesling. A classic wine, that features ripe peach, pear and lemon flavours, refreshing acidity and a hint of spice. It will make any meal special, from simple ham-and-brie sandwiches to foie gras. Buy it here!
- Terres De Saint Louis Rose Varois En Provence AOC – Similar to Whispering Angel, this wine is also from the Provence region in France. The pale salmon pink colour, with delicate strawberry and cherry aromas, make this a little less tangy but medium-bodied wine and another great option for a warm afternoon. Plus, you can get two bottles for the same price as one Whispering Angel. Buy it here!
- Fielding Pinot Grigio – This pinot grigio has vibrant aromas of lemon zest, lime, grapefruit and green apple. The citrus fruit notes are abundant on the palate, which is light, fresh and incredibly easy drinking, with a crisp and refreshing finish due to its bright acidity. Buy it here!
- Martini & Rossi Asti – No list would be complete without noting the Martini & Rossi Prosecco. This deliciously fragrant wine is low in alcohol at only 7% with aromas and flavours of apricot, peach and candied lemon with orange blossom tones. The palate is delicately sweet with lively bubbles and a crisp and balanced finish. Enjoy on its own, or pair with fresh fruit! Buy it here!
We hope you are able to try some of our favourite wines! If we missed one that you think we should try, leave a comment or send us a message! We always love hearing new suggestions and can’t wait to try it.